Sunday, November 9, 2008

Uncomfortably Comfortable

I'm at a point in my life that I feel comfortable. The older boys are doing well in school, I love staying at home with Maggie and Eamon, work is great, Phil loves his job, and we love each other.

So why is it that whenever life seems to be going great, I get this uncomfortable feeling that something is going to go wrong? I worry about what the future holds, if/when we should have another baby, how to decrease our expenses, the physical health of my extended family, and what I need to do to get to Heaven one day.

I really wish I could be happy and just enjoy what God has given me, enjoy my life to the fullest and live each day as if it could be my last. But I can't. I'm a worry-wart, and I know I shouldn't be, for the Bible says:

“For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith! Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’ For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

This is a GREAT BIG FAT reminder of how I should be living, and I will strive to be more like this...but only with God's grace :-)

4 comments:

  1. you forgot to mention that you finally have a friend now too! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. That scripture passage convicts me every time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not alone in the "worry when everything is going fine" club! I think this is my new favorite bible passage though...thanks for sharing:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this passage! It is soothing just to read Jesus' words and know that we will be taken care of. I have given up worrying about most things but there is one thing that I still fret about; you even mentioned it. Everyday, I wonder: Is it the right time for another baby? Are we being selfish to postpone? Could we handle another child now? Well, if we were surprised with one, that would be okay, so is it okay to try to postpone, then? My heart keeps flipping around on that one, but that's the good thing about NFP: if God really wants you to have a baby, you will. I'm rambling.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and thank you for your comments! I always appreciate it when people leave a little note to let me know that they've been there. It's a (forgive me for saying this next part) warm fuzzy from someone miles away. You're always welcome back!

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...