Friday, June 24, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday


This is my first time participating, and Hallie is hosting because Jen is in the hospital for Baby #5!!  So here goes:

1) Summer has officially arrived this week - but we've been having gray/rainy days since.  Stinkers.  We did put up our little pool and have been to the beach once, so it does feel a bit summery.

2) I haven't gained any weight in the past month.  My midwife hasn't commented on it, so I guess it's no big deal.  I do know that now that I'm not working full-time, I am more active in general, and I'm still able to walk 4 to 6 miles each day.  Plus, eating a lot of food at once gives me heartburn and makes me want to pop my belly to relieve some pressure, so I've been subconsciously eating smaller meals.  If only I could keep this up after the baby's birth ~ but breastfeeding makes me STARVING and I always eat a ton.
Current Craving:

CHERRIES!!!


3) Training on my new job (that I will officially start in October) has been going awesome!  It's so nice to work in an office with a chapel right down the hall, Mass offered a couple times a week, as well as regular Adoration and Confession.  And this high school has such wonderful Catholic administrators and a really faithful (and cute!) Theology Department Chair (don't worry...it's Phil).  It feels so *right* to be working there.

4) I still haven't driven our new van, which we've nicknamed "The Beast". 



I did buy Phil a sticker for The Beast for Father's Day:


Cute, huh?  I almost chose the pregnant lady for me (since I feel like I'll be  pregnant forever) but got the mom holding the baby instead.

5) Sorry, this will be the last pregnancy-related item for today, but I am just so so so nervous about this upcoming birth.  My midwife doesn't allow drugs, and I've done it naturally before, but I can't seem to relax about it this time.  We are re-reading the Bradley Method book to help prepare and I've been going to Daily Mass as much as possible to pray my way to peace, but the thing that scares me the most was how short-of-breath I got at the end of Maggie's labor.  I was just about to hyperventilate and felt like I was going to pass out.  I panic when I feel I can't breathe right.  This time I'm going to talk about getting oxygen at the end to help me get through it.

6) Have you all been following the Caylee Anthony trial?  It's so sickening to watch, but I can't seem to turn away.  Just seeing Caylee's sweet face on the news breaks my heart:


Here's the thing.  People are so shocked and disgusted by what this little girl's mother (allegedly) did, as well they should be, but does nobody see the irony in wanting to give this mother the death penalty when other moms murder their babies all.the.time?  Abortions occur every 23 seconds - so why aren't we all disgusted and outraged about that?

7) Does anyone have any good books or series (interesting, funny, adventurous...just no language like "stupid" or "hate")  for an 8 year old boy who wants to read The Wimpy Kid Diaries and Harry Potter but whose mean parents won't let him?


13 comments:

  1. I'm dying, because the sticker you got for the van looks like Phil is holding a knife aimed at your head. I'm sure it's really a frisbee, but I think it's funnier may way.

    As for books, have you ever heard of Geronimo Silton? They're a funny sort of graphic novel series for kids his age. Both my 8 year old and 6 year old like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your quick takes, and the photo header on your blog! Congrats on your new little one. :)

    Re: the Caylee Anthony story, I have thought the same thing myself. How could the irony be lost on people? It's so sick.

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 24, 2011

    The Magic Tree House is a GREAT serious that requires imagination. They travel all over the world, and over come many obstacles. There's like 30 books in total! My 9 year old LOVES them!
    Try to relax on the birth. If this is Gods will HE will provide you with EVERYthing you need. Mary gave birth to Jesus and I'm sure she was scared. Put your trust in her as well!
    My God keep you and your family safe!
    -- Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you haven't gained any weight and that you walk that much every day. you are intense! i always gain a lot at the end and can hardly walk 1.5 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJune 24, 2011

    where do you get the stickers for the back of the car?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for quick takes! :)

    I had the same "Phil has a weapon!" thought as Cari until I did a double take.

    And having just done it, I can totally sympathize with the epic nerves about giving birth naturally. I seem to get more nervous each time because I think, "Well, it turned out fine last time, so does that mean this time will be the whammy?!"

    As you can tell, I am such a secure individual. ;)

    Just keep praying about it, take it to St. Anne, St. Margaret, and St. Gerard Majella -- they were my go-to saints for all things pregnancy anxiety related. I KNOW you can do this -- and a little oxygen at the end of labor won't hurt anyone! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have him read The Great Brain series and Encyclopedia Brown.

    I don't remember the language being an issue in either book but I am sure you could scan them first just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny, I thought he was holding a gun! But, I did figure it was a frisbee.

    I like your 7 quick takes and I am glad to hear that your job training is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, books, that is tough. My son lik ethe Magic Tree House books too. Would he like the Narnia Series? We try to stick to classics. I am not a fan of H.P either!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love you. I love how you walk every day...boy do I wish I would have done that with all my pregnancies...only my second, and it was the easiest nicest birth and I was up feeling great immediately after she was born. I had labor nervousness too...mostly it would hit right when the contractions started then I would have a little breakdown. We all know how much work it is...midwives are awesome you know and she will help you so much with your fears.
    The Caylee stuff makes me sick also...what gets me is that so many relatives/friends saw a problem before hand but no one stepped in to do anything, including the grandparents. And of course, what you said about abortion is so true and I see it in SO many instances, not just this one. The newspaper is full of such obvious discrepancies, not to mention the law!
    I am so glad you are liking your new job...I love Catholic schools and would love to work in one one day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The magic tree house books are the best! Wish there were more series out there for boys. Especially for ones who HATE to read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Finally stopping in to comment....
    You're getting SO close to Baby Boo's arrival! Woohoo!
    Good for you on not gaining any weight in the last month...you are so inspiring in the weight/health dept., even when you are pregnant :)
    Totally agree with the others on the Magic Treehouse series. We struggle to find good series/books to read. I know Lily really loves Boxcar Children too, not sure if boys would as much though.

    ps....I too thought the first several times I saw the picture on your blog that is similar to the sticker you bought Phil, that he had some type of sword or something aimed at you. I did finally figure out it was a frisbee. BTW, is he an Ultimate Frisbee ban? It seems to me that that is a huge 'sport' at FUS campus.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amen to the Caycee Anthony analogy!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...