Thursday, September 20, 2012

Low-Carb Stuffed Peppers

We are eating less carbs as a rule around here, thanks to being inspired by this little lady and this book (which is on sale!), and we are trying lots of recipes to make sure those meals are still tasty.  We definitely have a keeper with these Stuffed Red Peppers.  And they're easy peasy to make.  Win win.

Ingredients:
3 red bell peppers, halved
1 lb. ground turkey (we use 93% lean)
1 onion, diced
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
1/2 of 5 oz. container reduced-fat blue cheese crumbles
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 cloves minced garlic
1 TBS chili powder
1 egg

Topping: Salsa or Tomato Sauce

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.
Place red pepper "shells" in a baking pan.

Into a bowl, throw all other ingredients except for the topping. 


Mix together with hands, and stuff mixture into peppers.
Top with salsa or sauce:


Cover and cook for about an hour. 
Peppers should be soft and turkey cooked through.

Enjoy!

(Disclaimer: He didn't eat this veggie-filled dinner, but he is cute)

3 comments:

  1. I would definitely eat this! It looks delicious. My husband and kids on the other hand would totally turn up their noses. I need to check out that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great to me as well! I was wondering if your kiddos were more adventurous than mine with peppers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm only slightly embarrassed that on the day you linked to me (THANK YOU!!!) i linked to mac and cheese --- my guiltiest guilty pregnancy pleasure (along with pop tarts -- another low-carb treat)

    these look so yummy and I think we have everything to make them .... shocker.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...